Student Recruitment: 3 Things Higher Ed Marketers Can Learn from B2B Marketers
At Tegrita, I am the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the higher education vertical. Although recruiting new students is different than B2B marketing, in many ways there are a lot of similarities. Having worked with various universities and continuing education organizations, I have identified three key lessons that higher education marketers can learn from B2B marketers.
- Long-term Nurture: Most B2B organizations have a 3- to 18-month sales cycles and the process of recruiting college freshman can be even longer. High school seniors may inquire just a few months before the application deadline and high school freshman may inquire to get an early start on their decision process leaving you with a wide 3-month to 4-year process. To effectively nurture these students, you must develop content that supports them through their journey and speak to their needs at that time.
- Decision by Committee: In large B2B organizations, there are often multiple departments and a variety of roles involved in the decision-making process. For this reason, Account Based Marketing (ABM) has become a popular approach. Although the ultimate decision is typically left up to the student, their parents, guidance counselor, coaches, advisors, and clergy are often involved in the process. If you are only communicating with the student, you are missing key opportunities.
- Fit Matters: When it comes to choosing a college, the quality of education and availability of major are important, but are not the only criteria in determining which of the applicants are an ideal fit for your university. By focusing on fit, higher education marketers are able to identify prospective students that are most likely to choose their university. Taking this approach helps admissions advisors focus their time effectively in recruiting new students.
Watch the video above to hear my insights on how you can improve your conversion from inquiry to enrollment.Download our Higher Education Case Study
Latest posts by Brandi Starr (see all)
- The Channel CRO [It’s What You Do with Brandi Starr] - August 22, 2023
- Rebel Intrapreneur [Episode 45: Brandi Starr A New Generation of Executive] - July 13, 2023
- Revenue Rehab: June Recap 2023 - June 29, 2023