The field of marketing has significantly evolved over the past two decades as a result of the technology revolution. Technology now drives how organizations develop, plan, execute, and measure their marketing efforts. Marketing practitioners had to respond and adapt, splitting their time between technologies and strategies. The common term used to describe the current approach to digital marketing is ‘Modern Marketing’. The concept of Modern Marketing is still a bit abstract, so let’s look at how others across the web have defined and described the concept.
- According to the online publisher, Medium, “modern marketing takes traditional marketing’s principles and frameworks and reshapes the process so we can more quickly adapt to change. It’s an approach that must be user-centered, iterative and built for continuous learning.”.
- A fundamental concept of modern marketing is adopting the agile approach. Vermilion Pinstripes, states “Modern Marketing is agile; aligns sales, marketing and communications to sell without selling and leverages creativity and technology to build memorable brand experiences that customers love.”.
- In the article “Why modern marketing is as much about mindset as technical skills”, Stephanie Miller, Head of digital at AlixPartners LLP, speaks about three essential concepts of modern marketing being “customer centric”, “integrated”, “nimble & innovative”.
- Lake One Digital believes that building a modern marketing plan requires several components: “(1) Tech Stack; (2) Skills (3) Team; (4) Measurement; and (5) On-going education.”.
- Digital Marketer defines the ideal modern marketer to be: “versed in 8 core disciplines”: “conversion funnel, content marketing, paid traffic, email marketing, social media, search marketing, data/analytics, testing/optimization.”.
- Get Feedback tells us that the key to getting started as a modern marketer is to “Automate as much as you can.”. By automating you will be “reducing the overall workload for your team.”. It’s vital to note that automation really means choosing the ideal technology stack that suits your needs and not just adding technologies in an ad-hoc manner.
Are you ready for your Modern Marketing journey? Take the “So You Think You’re a Modern Marketer” quiz and find out!
Latest posts by Manar Asaya (see all)
- What Is Lead Management? Answers From Around the Web - August 20, 2020
- What is Agile Marketing? Answers From Around the Web - July 28, 2020
- What Is Content Experience? Answers From Around the Web - June 29, 2020